Tuesday, July 24, 2007





It was nice to se the sun come out after a week or more of cloud and rain, so I took the opportunity to take a little photo walk. I took the bus to Gonzales Bay and walked back along Hollywood Crescent and through the Ross Bay cemetery. At one time it was called Foul Bay but at some point the name was changed to protect the sensibilities of the residents. The street that comes to an end at Gonzalez Bay is still called Foul Bay Road, however. No matter what it's called, I think it has one of the prettiest beaches in Victoria. And Hollywood Crescent is one of Victoria's prettiest streets. Unfortunately, with the gentrification of the neighborhood all the old cottages with their flower filled front yards are rapidly being replaced by larger houses with pretensions and paved front yards. It's a pretty short street and it connects Gonzales Bay with Ross Bay and the Ross Bay cemetery.
I read something the other day about San Francisco that absolutely shocked me. I'm not sure of the details, but I think it has been since the earthquake or shortly after that it has been illegal to bury anyone in that city. All the previously established cemeteries were closed and the remains reintered elsewhere. How extraordinary for a city to want to obliterate its past! Surely this must have something to do with what it has become, and how it can elect a Congresswoman who seems to hate her own country.
But Victorians have always paid reverence to their predecessors and so we have many well known cemeteries, and I am always rather moved when I read the inscriptions on the stones. Since this is not a modern industrialized cemetery, the headstones are mostly of the upright variety.

No comments: