Sunday, September 2, 2007

Classic Boat Show





Labour Day weekend is when the Classic Boat Show is held in Victoria. Right downtown in front of the Empress Hotel, the location is right on the main tourist route. I love old boats and I try not to miss it. I'm working on weekends now so I had to get there early. It's a lot easier to take pictures without the crowds that show up later. There are always some real beauties here. I favour the small and graceful sailboats, and there are a few absolutely lovely pocket cruisers here this year. My imagination immediately puts me in a lovely picture: a quiet cove too shallow for big boats, a glass of wine in my hand, and the blissful peace embellished by the twitter of birds and the quiet lapping of the tide against my hull. No sirens, no phone, no rock and roll or worse, all the rude noises of human activity far, far away. No such place exists, I know, except in my imagination.
Although it's nice to see these boats in the tranquility of an early morning, I rather wish I could get over here later and watch the little steamboats do their regatta.

No comments: